Chapter 5 Project
In this project, you are to create a turtle motion controller to help the turtle perform exercises for his upcoming race with the hare. Create a world which contains only a turtle and then create motion control methods for the turtle:
- headBob: allows the turtle's head to bob a little
- tailWag: allows the turtle's tail to wag
- oneStep: allows the turtle to move forward one step; his legs should move while he is taking that one step
- walkForward: combines the above 3 methods, to make a realistic step; all movements should take the same amount of time and should occur at the same time
- turnAround: turns the turtle 180 degrees; he should be walking while turning around
- turnLeft, turnRight: turns the turtle left/right, walking while he is turning
- hide: allows the turtle to hide in his shell (you may assume that the turtle is currently outside of his shell); remember to not leave the shell hanging in midair
- reappear: allows the turtle to reappear from his shell (you may assume that the turtle is currently hidden)
- talk: has the turtle look at the camera and say "hello" (or something different, if you wish) to the user
- Test the turtle motion control system by running your world and trying all the interactions at least once. Be sure to only hide the turtle when he is already out of his shell and only have him reappear when he is hiding.
For this project, meeting the minimum project requirements will achieve a C or higher. An A-level project will go beyond the minimum requirements. To go beyond, you can create more than the required number of methods and objects. Furthermore, the usual attention to detail in scene creation and animation style will earn higher marks. [let Mr. M know in writing what "above-and-beyond" features you plan on including]
- [5 pts for each keyboard controls]
- ____ a) When the up arrow key is pressed, the turtle is to walk forward.
- ____ b) When the down arrow key is pressed, the turtle is to turn around.
- ____ c) When the left arrow key is pressed, the turtle is to turn left.
- ____ d) When the right arrow key is pressed, the turtle is to turn right.
- ____ e) When the letter "H" is pressed, the turtle is to hide in his shell.
- ____ f) When the letter "R" is pressed, the turtle is to reappear from his shell.
- ____ g) When the letter "T" is pressed, the turtle is to talk to the user.
- ____ [8 pts] for commenting each method
- ____ [up to 12 pts] for pre-approved "above-and-beyond" feature (explain on next line)
____________ / 55 pts TOTAL